Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Concept Exploration + Schematic Design

When I was thinking of a concept for the 3 wards in the Central Regional Hospital in Butner, NC, I really wanted to bring the outdoors in. After all the studies we have done, it looks like bringing in nature is what will make patients feel more at ease and comfortable. Roger Ulrich did a study on how patients who could see a tree from their window, as opposed to those who only saw a wall, had a faster recovery rate. Nature makes you feel so relaxed and I want the patients at Butner to feel the same.

The first three images are from my sketchbook on all three of my concept ideas:


I chose the metamorphosis of a butterfly because it is all about transformation and a freeness of spirit.

The following images are of my schematic designs I have quickly sketched out. I address circulation, ideas, materials and bedroom ideas.




No comments: