Friday, April 2, 2010

Part One: Neighborhood A analysis

[Ground Floor]
Some strengths that this group designed was their social area by the laundry room because it allows the residents to socialize and relax while waiting for their laundry. It forces communication. The color coded shelves in the store work well with what kinds of food or clothing is sold at each color. It's an easy way to organize. Some weaknesses for this design is the hardwoods on both the floors and the ceiling. I think if you saw that in real life it would not look appealing to the eye. Advice I would give is that it would be nice t see the courtyard before they talked about it in their presentation. It would be easier to view the plan on all slides to visualize where everything was because I was having a hard time seeing how all the spaces related spacially. Also labeling the rooms would be helpful as well. I loved the light blocks as transparency in the space. The colors on the presentation reflect the colors on in the space, which is nice. "Clean lines appeal to everyone" stood out to me as well as refection of bright colors because both bright colors and clean lines were definitely in their space and I do agree that clean lines are appealing to everyone even if they don't realize it.

[Floor 1]
Some of the strengths of this space include the circles that mimic a conversation and how the center of the whole floor is called the hub. The textures that were chosen create movement. I really liked how they dealt with the pathway leading to the Gateway Plaza because non of the other groups did. I found their big red line on the floor to be really distracting and that it took away from their design. I was just awkward. The circle graphics on the presentation related to the circles in their space which is a plus! I liked how all the slides were unified and they didn't change the layout for any of the slides. Labeled things and hand and podium drawings looked nice and were well laid out. The word core and direction stood out to me in their presentation because they literally made a direction in their space with the line and the core with the hub space. The direction line I feel was not a strong point and they could of made more of a direction in a different way that would of worked better for their space.

[Floor 2]
The ceiling design in their space was amazing! It created movement that was inspiring to look at. The tree graphic in the space worked because of its direction it was blowing and the concept of organic shapes and things. It would of been nice if everyone spoke up just a little bit and not spoke so quietly. The darkness of the space was not very inviting to me. Adding some more lighting would be a better fix. I liked the meditation room because it was very well thought out with not having any signs or symbols that would relate to any one religion. However, in a way it felt really off from the rest of the floor. The wood in the space made it feel spooky to me. I would not feel comfortable praying in that space. I loved the simple waves in their graphic presentation because I feel that the more simple it is the better it reads to understand. I was not so sure about the children's area because it was not enclosed anywhere and it had way too many steps. Children would fall all the time and having them not enclosed would not get them to stay in the same spot the whole time. I would advise to put some kind of enclosure so they cannot escape. The words mind, body, soul, and organic stood out to me because the organic shapes in the space really reflected their concept. I feel though that only the words mind and soul relate to the meditation room and not the other spaces on the floor, but he word body really relates to the actions that take place in their main area; exercise.

No comments: